Friday, January 15, 2010

Love Hurts


Now that my blog title successfully looks like an American Apparel ad, I think I'm ready to start my blog!

I'm still really obsessed with relationship/intimacy pictures. The ups and downs of romance- can they be captured on film? On my quest I stumbled on one artist who makes an interesting attempt, though she focuses more on the lows than the highs. This photographer is Nan Goldin, and if you've never taken a look at her blood stained portrait of intimacy, I suggest you try to stomach it.



Another photographer I discovered while fishing for Nan Goldin photos was a Czech photographer named Jan Saudek.

"The work of the Czech photographer Jan Saudek (born 1935) is always about people. It is people who intrigue, fascinate and move him. His inspiration comes from deep down inside: ´Art is born in the soul´, he once said. The nature of his work is intimate and personal, revealing his own desires, fantasies, loves and anxieties. It shows his obsessive fears like the fleeting force of desire, the body´s ageing and disintegration, the loss of beauty or the ambiguous nature of the sexes. Generally it is Saudek´s family and friends who pose for him, but he occasionally poses himself."

Here's a few I really liked. All of these are hand colored which adds a surreal touch.





No comments:

Post a Comment