Saturday, January 23, 2010

Autumn De Wilde














Autumn de Wilde (born 1970) is an American photographer best known for her portraiture and commercial work photography of musicians.

"De Wilde has photographed CD covers for Elliott Smith, Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins, The Raconteurs, The White Stripes, Fiona Apple, Beck, Built to Spill, Wilco, Monsters of Folk, and a number of other musicians. In addition, she has directed music videos for Elliott Smith, Spoon, Ingrid Michaelson, The Raconteurs, Rilo Kiley and Death Cab for Cutie. Her portrait subjects include Willie Nelson, Sean Watkins, Ryan Adams, Sonic Youth, Tegan and Sara, and Wolfmother. De Wilde's live concert documentary work includes the Flaming Lips, Spoon, and the Arcade Fire. De Wilde's photos have appeared on the cover of Spin magazine and in the pages of Rolling Stone, Filter Nylon, Los Angeles Times, Entertainment Weekly, and The New York Times. Autumn de Wilde also documents the couture designers Kate and Laura Mulleavy of Rodarte.In 2007 De Wilde released a book that featured photographs she had taken of late musician Elliott Smith. The book included handwritten lyrics, interviews with close friends and family, and a bonus CD of a live performance."

Album covers and band photography are an area that have always interested me. Passing through a record store, the album art and posters of artists are the first impression your get. I must admit to buying more than one cd just because it "looked cool." A photograph of an artist can be as telling of their style as their music. Iconic images of artists stay lodged in our memories as symbols for these people.
Who could forget this one of Johnny Cash, taken by Jim Marshall:

as a reaction to: "Let me take one for the warden."

I discovered Autumne De Wilde because I'm a huge Elliott Smith fan and she took some of the most famous pictures of him. Its fascinating to me that pictures of him as well as his music are the only things left of him today. (Well, besides a legacy of greatest...)
Can I have her job? She photographs some of the best musicians out there today. Some of these are very candid. Especially the ones of Elliott, I believe she was a friend of his. Others are staged and a studio and more conceptual but I find them all appealing. They have a wonderful sense of humor. She does a great job at capturing the artist's personality through her photographs. I think this a good example of someone getting paid to do something really awesome in photography... Commercial photography that isn't boring, which is very intriguing to me and my wallet. Not that I care about money at all. That's impossible for someone who gets as many wilmington parking tickets as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment